Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Swinging Work with Toddlers

I'm a writer which means I don't get paid until published, and then only based upon what is getting published. It also means that I fit in work where I can. My current projects include my story of miscarriages, co-authoring a YA Fantasy novel, writing a YA Magical Realism Novel, and plotting out a YA Sci-Fi Novel. The problem is I am a mom.


I don't regret being a mom. Its what I wanted to be more than anything. So I've been trying to figure out for the last six years how to balance two of my loves - writing and kids. It hasn't always been successful.  Today, while two of the kids were at school, I put on Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs 2 for Juniper and handed him my Kindle to play games. Then I spent the next two and half hours on and off reviewing story structure videos on-line and re-outlining my Magical Realism novel. I'm doing what prep work I can for a writer's retreat next month. I will have two and a half days away from my family to get as much work done as I can.


I was so involved in my work that after Rose and Cyprus got home I loaded them up with movies and games and kept on working. I was able to identify the gaps in my story and how to strengthen my character and plot arcs.  I still have two more weeks of work to plan out in order to get the optimum amount of writing done at the retreat.  My kids weren't exactly thrilled with me, but no one got injured, there was only minor fighting, and everyone got fed.  So overall I think it was a good day.  (Granted I'm sure they wouldn't be so cooperative with me if I tried this every day.)


Thanks kids. I appreciate you patience so that Mommy could accomplish so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment