Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Building A Love for Science

I am a writer and a reader. Math and Science are not my specialties, but I have been helping a friend test out candy experiments for a sequel to her first book - Candy Experiments.


Candy Experiments


The experiments in this book, as well as the new ones I have been lucky enough to test for her, bring science into the home in a fun and exciting way. Plus, it teaches kids that they can do more things with candy than just eat it.  We've soaked, baked, microwaved, frozen, and much more to chocolate, gummy worms, jawbreakers, Skittles and more, just to see the chemical reactions that take place when we do it. The kids learn to document their findings and learn the science behind it all.


As a family we've been doing these experiments for several months now and you should see Rose's face light up as she'll come running into the kitchen and ask me, "Mom, can we do more science?"  This from a 6 year old.  She's even told her teacher she is planning on becoming a scientist.  I love it.  How often do you see that kind of excitement.  And you know what? I love doing it too. I'm learning amazing new things and have a chance to make my kids happy.  I call that a Win-Win.


To see my book review of the first Candy Experiments book click here: Candy Experiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment