Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Scary Moments

One of the hardest aspects of being a mother is dealing with when your kids are in pain. My Cyperus, whether from the Autism or just is natural curiosity or through no fault of his own, tends to do things that end up with us at the doctor's office or the ER. 


A few years ago he had been sick. I had him resting on the floor of our bedroom while watching movies. When I checked on him after a few minutes he was having a seizure and had stopped breathing. After rolling him on his side to make sure his airway was clear I called 911. After an ambulance ride to our local hospital we learned that he had gotten a sudden and severed fever due to Strep Throat. I don't think I have ever been so scared.


Until yesterday.


Cyperus had gotten into a camping backpack that we thought was out of reach and found a first aide kit. Now, he naturally puts everything in his mouth, and what I didn't know is that this particular first aide kit had a smelling salt in it. The poor little boy opened up the kit while I was in the restroom and put the tablet in his mouth. After giving him fluids and calling poison control I took him once again to the nearest hospital, where all they could do was wait and watch to make sure his airways didn't close up.


There are very few things that make me feel totally helpless as a mother and that was one of them. He's home now with a very sore and blistered mouth, and hopefully an appreciation of what not to put in his mouth (I pray).   Even then I'm grateful for this little boy and the joy he brings into our lives. And I'm extremely grateful his injuries weren't worse.


And I want to sent a note to all my kids - stop making me so scared. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment