Friday, May 2, 2014

It's all about the Finish!

Being a writer I get the chance to meet some pretty amazing people who happen to also be writers. The great thing about that is that I can soak up all their experience and knowledge and use it to help me survive and thrive.

One of my friends is just such a person. Betsy Schow released a book last year titled Finished being Fat: An Accidental Adventure in Losing Weight and Learning How to Finish.
Finished Being Fat: An Accidental Adventure in Losing Weight and Learning How to Finish

If you would like to read my review of her book click here: Finished Being Fat.  Now, you might think, "Oh no, not another WEIGHT LOSS book." 

Go back and read the tag line beyond the title. The main concept of this book is to find those things in our lives that we keep undone, things that we say we will get to someday, and then to actually do them.  Betsy happened to lose weight while she was learning this lesson.

For me, I am learning to make sure that I finish things that I start with my kids. Now, I'm not always 100% successful at this, but it is important for them and for me that things get finished.

If I promise my kids something, then I need to follow through. If I commit to doing something, then I need to do it (world Apocalypse interference an exception).  This book nudged me done the path of starting to deal with my postpartum depression last year,  keeps me writing, got me up and moving after back surgery, taking archery, and doing so many other things. It is because of this book that I take my kids to the park when we're all having a bad day. And its because of this book that I periodically am able to look into the things that I am unhappy with about myself and I make a decision to change that. Then I work to follow through.

So thanks Betsy - for being an awesome friend, mentor, and finisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment