Thursday, May 22, 2014

But I'm Scared

I was an English major in college. Now this does not mean that I can spell or understand grammar (go figure that one out), and commas will forever be my nemesis but I'm finding that I have a language pet peeve when it comes to my children. If we tell our six year old its time to get in pajamas, bath time, time to clean up, etc., she starts throwing a tantrum and yelling, "But I'm scared."


It is driving me officially bonkers. And, for right or wrong, today I took a stand. After about six months of this behavior I couldn't stand it anymore. I explained to her that she was incorrectly using the word. Then I tried to help her understand the definition of scared and that it had no connection with what she is talking about. In reality, and through watching her signals, I have come to learn that she says "I'm scared" she really is saying "But I don't want to do it."


I know its nit picky on my part, but I want her to use words for what she really means, not just whatever word comes to mind.  Yes I know, its probably a losing battle against a six year old, but come on. Please just tell me what you truly mean and not what you think will get you out of what needs to be done.

Thank You. Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment