Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Be Willing to Play

Sometimes the life of a mother can be overwhelming, especially the screams of "Mom, where are you?" when all you are trying to do is go to the bathroom for five minutes. And sometimes, though I love them dearly, my kids simply don't get that Mom has feelings of her own and is tired.  For the last five out of six days are kids have been starting their day between 4:45 am - 5:30 am.  I don't know why. All I know is it makes for really long days, and often times a grumpy Mommy.


On days when my husband works from home he blesses me by watching the kids so that I can take a nap. (He is pretty remarkable, I know.)  Today was just such a day. What utter bliss it is to lock my bedroom door, put on a pair of earplugs and tune out the fighting, the wanting, and the screams.


But there is one thing I have noticed, whether or not I get a nap. On days that I'm willing to throw my hands up in the air, forget the To Do list and simply play with my kids, my day goes better. Whether its spraying them with the garden hose, lay on my back and bounce a balloon in the air, or even play a video game with them, I'm usually in a happier place.


So here's to me learning to do this more often, even on hard days. My kids look alarmed, then amazed, when I do it. We also get a lot of laughter in. The fights seem less, and my priorities a little more long term. Overall, I think its a good goal for me to work toward, especially with Summer coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment