Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Thank You Lego Movie

Often times mornings with "special needs" kids can be a trial. If mommy doesn't get things just right from the get go then the whole day can turn into a battle or a meltdown.  Even though my kids need routines to make sense of their world there "strong-will" often gets in the way as they try to be in charge. If I let them in charge they would never get dressed, eat breakfast within a certain time frame, etc.

So I was surprised at how my daughter was impacted by the release of the LEGO movie on DVD. We never took the kids to see if at the movie theater because they can't sit still/do well being confined in one place for so long. A few weeks ago, as soon as it came out on DVD, we bought the movie and showed the kids.  Now, thanks to Emmett the construction worker, my daughter has started going through a list of things she needs to accomplish in the morning to start the day.

Today, for the first time, Rose got dressed of her own accord, without prompting or fighting. She then brushed her teeth, asked where her brush was so she could brush her hair, etc.

So thank you LEGO Movie for getting my daughter to do something she normally wouldn't do. You are my hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment