Thursday, June 26, 2014

Early Child Intervention

Today I took Juniper to his first meeting with the Early Child Intervention people for our local school district. They put us in a room where there was this awesome train table so that J could play while we talked about what happens in the transition process.

The first question they asked me was "What are you concerns for J?"

I honestly drew a blank. Compared to Rose and Cyprus J seems downright advanced in his speech for his age, as well as his fine and gross motor skills. I mean the kid can say 3-5 word sentences. 

Then they asked, "Does he follow instructions?"

I laughed (and when I told my husband he laughed too). Frank said it best, "J doesn't acknowledge instructions."

Then in all honesty I told them that J has had to fight for everything--our attention, toys, etc. I'm sorry he's gotten jipped a bit, but the last few years have been a bunch of swear words tied into one long string of trials. Only now are we at a point as a family that we can start focusing on the things we need to again. That's why Juniper is finally getting the help he apparently needs.

I explained to them that he doesn't take no for an answer, he takes it for a challenge. I mean the kid uses the lazy susan in our kitchen as a latter to get to the knives (yeah still looking for a safe hiding place for our knife block).  Juniper also has a tendency if he isn't getting his way to do a whale-breach type flop on the floor (or into my face when appropriate).

The sweet ladies listened politely while taking a lot of notes. Then circled 4-5 areas on a piece of paper as to what to test him on the next time we go back. Then came the fun part. . . telling J it was time to go.

Did I mention he was playing with this incredibly awesome train table while we were talking.  Yeah, he did everything not to get caught. In the end one of the ladies went one direction and I went the other until we could trap him in between us. Then we went out front to schedule J's testing date. While I worked on that he played with this enormous block that had stringy things and beads, and an abacus, etc. When I told him it was time to leave he threw a massive tantrum all the way out to the car.

Yeah, so at least he behaved the ladies with a visual aide of what he does at home. We'll see how he does when he's tested at the end of July.  In the meantime, I am extremely grateful for patient women who know how to work with kids like mine. My life would be a lot crazier without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment