Friday, June 27, 2014

Good Books for Kids

I love books.  I'm addicted to them and I want to pass on that love to my children.

My daughter loves books, but has a hard time sitting still for them. My boys don't have the patience for sitting to hear a story and due to their communication issues I'm not sure how much they retain when they overhear it.

So here is my polling questions for the week:

1) What are your favorite books to read with your little ones?


2) How do you get your kids to sit down long enough for a story?



1 comment:

  1. The Lorax, I Love You Forever, and Jamberry are my favorites but anything by Seuss or Mercer Meyer are great choices.

    Consider reading out loud to them while they play and that way they will still hear the stories and have the control as to when they come see what is on the page.

    I liked reading my novels to the kids. (Skipping inappropriate topics as needed.) Their vocabulary and language skills were increased and I wasn't always reading the same 50 simple reading words used in most kids books.

    It also helps build attention span and comprehension when you are reading for extended times without turning the pages.

    It is important to have some time with them cuddled up next to you exploring the pictures and words. Guiding little fingers under the words is a great way to help train sight recognition and gives them something physical to do when they get the wiggles while reading.

    Hope these thoughts help.

    ReplyDelete