Tuesday, June 24, 2014

More Help

Last week Kids on the Move (KOTM) came to test my son Juniper.  Now KOTM helps kids between 0-3 years old that are developmentally delayed. They bring in all forces to help teach the parents and the kids how to strengthen and possibly overcome these delays. By the time we learned about KOTM they weren't able to help Rose because she was already 3 years old. So we worked with the local school district for her. But KOTM helped my Cyprus when he was 2 1/2 and were the first to tell me that he was possibly Autistic. They were right. 

At the time KOTM was working with Cyprus they mentioned (just from observation) that they didn't think Juniper was delayed. So I left it at that. I didn't have him tested.  Besides he started speaking a lot earlier and with more proficiency that either Cyprus or Rose. But for the last several months I have been struggling with all three kids. I felt that I needed help and a little break. Plus, with two unique children before him, I had no clue whether or not he had delays or was just being strong-willed.  It was then that I decided that when he turned three in the fall I would have the school district test him to see if he could get into the preschool with his brother.  Then I started thinking, "Why not have Kids on the Move come and test him now. That way I would at least finally know if he was normal or delayed.

It turns out that he's delayed. Now some of it maybe from mimicking the behavior of his older siblings. Some of it can be sure stubbornness, or it could be he truly is delayed. We're still trying to figure that out. Well today the KOTM nurse came out to check out his general health history and to test his ears/eyes. We know now that his vision and hearing are normal. So we've ruled that out. She told me that the occupational therapist will call me next and he'll come out to help work with us on Juniper's sleep, eating, etc., struggles.

So the long and short of this post. . .if you struggling with your kids don't wait and try to muddle through. Seek/ask for help--from family, friends, local programs. You don't have to do this alone. There are people with the knowledge you need to help meet your kids needs and to make your life a little more sensible. At least in the end you would be able to find out if you need the help in the first place or just a nice long vacation to reboot yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment