Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Sharing Room

One of the balancing acts of being part of a blended family is defining space.  From the moment we moved to the same state as Lemongrass and Anise I wanted them to feel like this was their second home. The first thing we did was get them a bunk bed so they didn't have to sleep on the floor. Then, when I could I bought them sheets and blankets for their specific tastes.  When we bought our town home we even did gave them their own room. Then we got pregnant and then pregnant again. That's when we started trying to figure out how we fit seven of us in a three bedroom town home.  Our finances don't allow for a bigger place, so we swing things the best we can with what we have. 


With the birth of Juniper we switched around the rooms again to put the little kids all in one room, like an old-fashioned nursery with modern thrift store colors and décor. And I moved the big kids into the smaller room with their bunk beds.  To make up for putting my stepsons into the smaller room I let them choose what colors we would paint it. So it is now a rotating paint job of the exact reds and blues that matched their favorite Pokemon games (though personally it reminds me more of the colors of Mario's had and overalls). On one wall, above the chair rail, is blue and below is red. On the next wall we switched the colors.  I kind of like it, but I'm sure we're going to have to repaint if we ever do choose to sell.


That was about two years ago. As the little kids started becoming toddlers and school-aged it was harder and harder to get them to sleep. Since they shared a bedroom they would rile each other up until there was tired fighting everywhere.  I am currently working with this amazing counselor to help me learn how to cope and succeed at being a good mom. Her suggestion is that while the boys were back home with their mom that I put Rose into their bedroom to separate her from Cyprus and Juniper. For the most part it works really great.  Then when the Lemongrass and Anise come to visit she moves back in with the little boys.


I'm grateful for Lemongrass and Anise being patient with this ring around the roses style of living. But in many ways I feel sorry for them.  Rose loves them dearly and misses them terribly when they leave. She adores her big brothers and gets totally hyper anytime they come visit.  Yesterday they were packing up to go back home.  I took that opportunity to strip all the beds and wash all the linens. Afterwards I remade the bottom bunk with Rose's sheets. I explained to her that her brothers were going home, so she could move back into the smaller room. 


Immediately she ran downstairs and asked her big brothers, "Are you going home?" 
"Yes," they replied.
"Yippee!!!!"


Oy, I felt so bad.  Apparently she did later explain that she was just excited to not have to share rooms with Juniper and Cyprus.  Oh what a crazy life we lead. 


I just hope that Lemongrass and Anise know how much I love them and cherish the time spent with them.  And no matter what I will always do my best to try and make them feel like this is truly an extension of their home. Because it is.  Love you boys.



No comments:

Post a Comment