Monday, June 2, 2014

Separation Anxiety

Two year old Juniper finally hit the separation anxiety stage five days ago. Since then any time he has to go down for a nap or even if I go upstairs to grab something from my bedroom  the house nearly shakes with his terrified/pissed off screams.  I had actually grown lax and assumed that he was going to skip this stage.


Well, that's what a mom gets for assuming.


I don't know if its because he's the last kid, or because he timed it for the end of the school year, but his anxiety is to the extreme and last for hours. For the first few nights I did every thing I could from singing, praying, holding, rubbing lavender oil on him, and giving him melatonin to no avail. Then I would sit in my room and cry listening to his heartache.  The biggest struggle I have is understanding if it is true anxiety or if he's playing me and I hate not knowing.


After five nights I went to bed really grumpy last night and unfortunately kids waking up at 5:30/6 am every morning since has added to the grumpiness. But hey, at least my house is all clean this morning (see previous posts about how I deal with stress).  In the meantime I keep loving him, being near him but not trying to coddle him.  And this weekend his half-brothers are coming to visit and hopefully the days will be so filled with fun that he'll fall asleep happily at the end of the day.


Here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment