Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Emergency Kits

In an unusual moment of productivity six months after Juniper was born I put together 72 hour emergency backpacks for each member of the family. We even had a church activity where we all got together and made food kits for the backpacks. It was awesome. I felt so accomplished.


Money has gotten a bit tight lately so I broke into the emergency kits a week or so ago to utilize the food for lunches for my kids. I've learned that some things don't last well flavor wise.  I've also learned that . . . um. . . its been two years since I've made the 72 hour kits.  So we've been writing down the food items we like and want to replace so that we can update them.


I had noticed last week that there were diapers in one of the backpacks in a size that none of my kids can way anymore. So finally yesterday I went through to update the kids clothes as well.  Yeah, so, um, Rose's backpack had size 4T clothes and pull-ups. Cyprus had 18 month clothes and size 4 diapers. And Juniper had size 6 month clothes, diapers, and individual formula packets.   Did I mention that Rose is 6 now, Cyprus is 4, and Juniper will shortly be 3 years old. 


I went ahead and updated their clothes, adding a second outfit instead of just one, and put in clothes that were at least 2-4 sizes bigger than they currently are.  I'm also working on building 72 hour kits for my two teenage stepsons' backpacks to include clothes they can wear.  I want to make sure they are prepared if there is ever an emergency when they are visiting us.


So my recommendation for today is if you don't have a 72 kit start putting together one from stuff you have around the house (cause something is better than nothing). And if you already have a kit when was the last time you to a look at it to see if it needed updating? If you're like me it might have been years.  Happy preparing!

No comments:

Post a Comment