Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Scary Pregnancies

Pregnancy in and of itself is an unknown. Sure, I know doctors will say otherwise. But when you are going through everything for the first time everything is scary, brilliant, amazing, and new. Advice will come in from every corner of the earth (including those who have never been pregnant) and be prepared for everyone wanting to touch your belly. Sometimes the knowledge people impart can be overwhelming and confusing.

One of the best recommendations I have that helped me when I was going through pregnancy is a book. (Being a writer myself I am highly addicted to books, so be prepared for lots of forthcoming book recommendations.) 

Fearless Pregnancy: Wisdom and Reassurance From a Doctor, a Midwife and a Mom by Victoria Clayton, Stuart Fischbein, and Joyce Weckl.

282197

This book was a life savor. All of my pregnancies were high risk due to Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome,  Anti-Cardio Anti-Lipid Bodies (a blood clotting disorder), gestational diabetes, and preeclampsia (twice), plus being overweight didn't help either. This meant I had to be on heparin shots for the entire pregnancy, metformin, and a bunch of other junk. It required regular blood tests (some times weekly) and a myriad of other exams to make sure my health and my babies were okay. Any time I didn't understand something my doctor was saying, or they name of the next test I would have to take, I would whip at this book to better understand it. What I loved most was that it did come from three varied perspectives and even covered a lot of the myths during pregnancy (i.e. will dying my hair hurt the baby, etc.).   

So, if you are a first time mom (or even a recurring mom) then I recommend getting this book to help you through the many questions.  Then, tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment