Tuesday, September 9, 2014

What is Normal?

I am used to doing things abnormally in my life. I mean I rode an exercise bike when I was a teenager only to have the bolt fall out of the seat. I promptly fell backwards onto the floor and crushed the vertebrae in my upper back.  Who does something weird like that?  Me, of course.

Well, I had a really rough weekend taking a road trip with my amazing, sweet, adorable special needs kids.  The trip was great. The ride home, not so much.  The trip threw my kids out-of-sync and messed with their routines. When that happens its really easy for them to get upset.

We got home from our trip Saturday night and Sunday we stayed at home to recover at celebrate little Juniper's 3rd birthday a day late. But because he was already out of sync Juniper was grumpy all day and would throw things at me (his go to method of showing frustration for the last several months).  When Juniper decided not to eat his birthday cupcakes (Despicable Me Minions) we decided to give them to friends and neighbors.  I hopped in the car to take some over to a friend only to realize my car smelled like pee from some potty accidents during out trip.  When I got home I took out all the car seats and took off their covers to give them a good cleaning.

While they were being washed I had Cyprus' booster seat sitting on the couch. Juniper kept playing with the seat while jumping up and down on the couch. After a while he was getting tired and grumpy and started kicking me in the shoulder. When I wouldn't react he upped the ante and picked up Cyprus' car seat and threw it at my head. (I know have a concussion and got to experience an MRI of my brain today as a result.)

Between that and having dislocated my collar bone trying to give things to kids in the backseat while on our trip, I decided to visit my friendly, local neighborhood chiropractor for an adjustment.  While adjusting me, my chiropractor asked me to lift my legs to see if I was having any difficulties with my lower spine. I couldn't lift my right one while laying on my tummy at all.  After a few more tries I told him that it felt like my knee had locked up. 

"Hmm, that's odd."

He felt around a bit and realized I was right and he had to adjust my knee as well as my back.  I made mention at the time "I don't do things normal."

He had the best response I had ever heard.  "I don't believe there is any such thing as normal.  Normal is more like an average than a specific state of mind."

I LOVE THAT!!!!  So who cares if you aren't normal. That just means you aren't average and there is nothing wrong with that.  Enjoy doing things in your own unique way and stop trying to "fit" in.  You're amazing the way you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment