Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Fighting for your kids

I was so thrilled last week that my son Juniper finished his tests for getting into preschool.  I figured, "Great.  We have a week until his birthday and then he'll get to start school the very next week."

Well, its now Wednesday and his birthday is Saturday and we haven't heard a thing.  Before we could figure out what days he would be going to school and when he would officially start preschool we have to have his IEP meeting (individual education plan). This meeting is where they officially tell me that Juniper is delayed enough in multiple areas that they are going to send him to preschool.  I was told they would send me a write-up in the mail over the weekend and contact me ASAP as to when we'd have the meeting.  I was told it had to be before his birthday.

Today I emailed the preschool teacher (simply because she's awesome and I know her and she's Cyprus' teacher) and asked if she'd heard anything about Juniper. She responded in less than 30 minutes that she hadn't, but would contact me as soon as she did.  So I went and called the special ed assessment center and asked about when his IEP meeting was scheduled for.   They politely took my information and said that they will "look into it".  That was this morning and I haven't heard anything yet.  Well they have two school days left before his birthday. I hope they figure something out quickly.  Supposedly he's supposed to start school next week. 

We'll see.

But that just proves to me once again that when you are a parent (especially if you have SN kids) that you constantly have to be willing to battle for what your kids need.  SO never give up. You can do this. (And so can I.)

No comments:

Post a Comment