Monday, September 15, 2014

Every Day Heroes

My sweet Rose is struggling figuring out how to cope with several trials our family has experienced lately. As a result, her teacher tells me that she is often weepy in class. I explained to Rose's teacher what was happening in our family and she told me that she was planning on changing up the seating anyway and did I know of anyone who would be a calming influence for my daughter.  Two names came to mind and I passed them onto the teacher.

A few days later I saw one of these kids' mom at church and talked to her. I told her what was going on and that I had recommended her daughter as a calming influence and someone Rose could sit by for help.  I asked her if that was okay.  I am so grateful she said yes. In fact, the discussion led to scheduling a playdate for the very next day so that the girls could spend more time outside of class and learn to be there for each other.

This morning I walked with the kids to school because Cyprus and Juniper don't have preschool on Mondays. Poor Rose kept getting upset and beating herself up verbally the whole way to school. When we got to school Rose got in line and we waited with her trying to help her calm down.  Then this wonderful friend showed up and asked Rose to stand next to her in line.  Immediately they started talking and laughing and planning on what they were going to do for their play date after school.

I am really grateful for an incredible teacher who listens and understands. I'm grateful for a friend who lifts and supports me. And I'm grateful that her daughter could be friends with my daughter and immediately take it upon herself to look out for Rose.  She even promised she would help Rose by studying the spelling words with her. 

I am truly surrounded by every day heroes.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder! I have those too, and I need to be grateful for them.

    ReplyDelete