Monday, July 7, 2014

Drops of Awesomeness Potty Training Style

We have been spending the last 6 months trying to cut back costs wherever we can in order to live within our means. We've gotten to the point that there isn't much else we can cut out, except diapers.
So, in a moment of either bravery or insanity, we are potty training both boys at once.  Oh boy!!!!  Today is day 5 (I think - the days are merging together). 

One thing I am learning (or being reminded of) with potty training special need kids is that it is really hard for me not to get frustrated when they purposely go elsewhere other than the potty. I need to step back, reign in my emotions, smile and walk them through the steps again. I just need to show them each time where the poop and pee go, help them clean it up, smile, tell them I love them and that we'll try again next time.

I'm learning that I need to focus on the little wins, like "hey, they're learning to hold it a little more" as they run around butt naked.  And "hey, I got peed on less today". And "man am I glad we own a carpet cleaner."

No my kids aren't typical, but they are worth the time and effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment