Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Be The Best Mom For Today

For the last nine months or so I have been meeting with a counselor to help me learn how to cope with some of the craziness of my life. She has been an amazing help.  I met with her again today and we talked about some of the struggles of being a mom to three special needs kids. The difficulty is that each kid needs help in different ways and I often have difficulty adjusting between methods when all three kids need me at once.

She reminded me of something that I used to tell myself all the time long before I ever had kids. "Be the best you for today, whatever that means."  She modified it to "Be the best mom you can be for today. Your best maybe different from day to day, but never stop trying to be the best mom for whatever that means for today."

There are sometimes in life where we seem to handle things better. Then there are days where the littlest things throw our game totally off.  (In all honesty its the exact same thing for kids.) Our best will change each day. The goal is to figure out what your best is for today and work to be that.

So I have days where the tv is my lifesaver and the kids end up spending much to much time in front of it. But on those days I just try to make sure that whatever they watch is educational. Hence all the Team Umizoomi, Your Baby Can Read, Blues Clues, School House Rock, and They Might Be Giants videos that my kids watch.

Other days where my best as a mom is better then we can turn off the tv, go to exercise group, play with bubbles, or go to the park.  As for today, my best this morning was pretty good, but this afternoon went downhill. However, no matter the gear shifting I have to do, I will never give up striving to be the best mom for my particular kids.  They are pretty awesome kids afterall.

No comments:

Post a Comment