Tuesday, August 12, 2014

How to work with a hyposensitive child. . .

This week I've met with an occupational therapist and a speech therapist to help me learn what my little Juniper needs to make sense of this world.  The OT did some exercises to try and pinpoint any sensory issues that Juniper might have (we already expect he is somewhere on the Autism Spectrum).  After several tests and a near concussion the OT determined that Juniper is hypo-sensitive.

The term hypo-sensitive can be a bit confusing. Even my mother's first reaction was that it meant he was overly sensitive to touch, sound, etc. That isn't the case. To be "hypo" sensitive means to have a low or diminished reaction to stimulus. For many kids with this issue they can seem to be daredevils.  For example, Rose jumps from high locations in order to receive the same physical sensation that another person might get from jumping in place. 

It can be a scary thing to watch your child do ever increasingly dangerous activities simply because they crave the same feeling you or I might get from normal activities.  I've had kids running into walls on purpose, jumping large gaps to land on unsolid objects, etc.

According to the OT that is partially why Juniper is constantly running, constantly on the go, and also why he is having difficulty communicating.  He is so focused on trying to get his body to feel that it won't quiet down enough to let his brain make certain connections.  Juniper knows words.  In fact, he knows many more words than Rose or Cyprus did at his age.  And often he can use those words and phrases in context.  However. . . he only speaks words or phrases that he has heard used at home 100s of times and very rarely to actually communicate with another person.

So the first thing I am learning with my children and their different sensitivities is that if I ever want them to be able to think then I need to get them exercising/moving first.  Once their bodies feel that their sensitivity needs have been met, then they will step back and allow the brain to function better so that my kids can focus.

Oh what a lot of fun and learning we all have ahead of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment