Sunday, January 4, 2015

Sunday Batttle/Sunday Humor

My three miracle children make life interesting. One of them has Sensory Processing Disorder. Another is moderate-functioning autistic. The third is severally communication delayed with aggressive behavior.  But they are mine and I am grateful for every day spent with them.

Though, I do have to admit, that preparing for church sometimes feels like I'm preparing for battle when I get ready each Sunday. I make sure to take an anxiety pill. I pack a bag filled with coloring books, crayons, dry erase boards, markers, word cards, math cards, quiet folders & puzzles, three different types of snacks, cups of water for everyone, diapers, pull-ups, wipes, changes of clothes, etc.

Today church moved to  9 am with the new year. I've been looking forward to it as church will no longer be during the kids' nap time. I was hoping it would make them less grumpy and regularize their routine better as they go to school at the same time during the week. In many ways it was easier because we were able to get them fed and ready and out the door. The one problem was that they were also more energetic and to explore and run wild.

My wonderful husband leads the music during our church meeting, so he sits up on the stand.  When he can, he sneaks off the stand to sit with us (especially on hard days). Today my kids were such a handful I didn't think we were going to even make it past the opening prayer. Even Frank could see how much I was struggling from the stand. As soon as the sacrament portion of the meeting was over Frank ran down to help.

Today, being the first Sunday the congregation has the opportunity to bare their testimonies. I told Frank that I really wanted to bare mine, if he was okay with the kids. He readily agreed. I was the second person to get up and when it was my turn I started to talk about how things had been rough for the last three years and how I am learning that trials can be a blessing. I talked about some of the struggles my kids experience and how they trigger each others sensitivities. And just as I was talking about how they were God's children first and that he would help me to understand them and to help them my Autistic son bolts out of the pew and runs all the way through the back of the church and climbs up on the stage and starts to dance, play and sing. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

I'm just truly grateful for the chance my kids give me to become a better person and a better mother. And I'm grateful for the patience church congregation and fantastic friends who supports and loves us and our quirky family. With no family close by they have stepped in and become our surrogate one. I'm amazed by the kindness, support and love we've received from everyone around us.

Sunday's may still be hard, and even a nightmare sometimes, but I've learned its worth it for me and my family to give our best effort each and every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment