Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Mommy Fails 101

When moms are tired, sick or wiped out there is related increase in what I call Mommy Fails.  For the last several weeks I have increased my exercise routine by getting up at 5 am three days a week to go work out with friends. On the off days I do some sort of workout at home or go on a walk/jog in preparation for a race I'm running in June. On top of that all three of my kids have rotated going through a nasty cold (the youngest ending up with a very bad case of the croup).  On top of that I'm trying to finish my edits on the book I'm currently writing in order to get it out to my beta readers in February (only a month late).

Yesterday, the fatigue finally hit and I started feeling like I was catching the kids' cold. My husband sent me to bed at 6:30 pm for a "nap" while he took care of the kids. And I slept until 6:45 am this morning. When I got up I started my usual routine--take a shower, grab the kids clothes, etc. I made sure everyone had clothes. They were in my hands, honestly they were.  I got Rose dressed, and even got the baby halfway dressed. But when it came time to get Cyprus dressed, everything but his socks and undershirt had completely disappeared.  I searched all over for twenty minutes before I realized that I had just picked up all the clothes on the floor from yesterday and put them into the wash -- Cyprus' clothes included. His clothes for the day were in the process of being rewashed. Oy!!!!

Then I realized ten minutes before we had to walk out the door to get Rose to her friend's house, and Cyprus on the bus that it hadn't even occurred to me to make my daughter a lunch. So I ran to the pantry and grabbed food from their 72 hour emergency kit and shoved it into her lunch box and called it good. 

Finally, after I got two kids on their way to school I piled Juniper in the car to take him back to the doctor for a second visit because his croup wasn't going away and I really need him to get helpful enough to go back to school this week so I can get my edits done (I'm running out of January). While we were waiting for the doctor to come see us I was twirling Juniper around in circles on the doctor's roller chair. Just moments before the doctor stepped into the room poor Juniper lost his balance and took a dive forehead first into the floor. He has a beautiful rug-rash/goose-egg to show for it just as the doctor opened the door.  I just wanted to take a face plant myself.

Oh well. In the end we're all still alive. So I guess in the long run I'm still a winner as a mom, but I really hope I've met my mommy fail limit for the day. Or else I'm just gonna have to go to bed and let my kids fend for themselves. They might be better off.

No comments:

Post a Comment