Thursday, December 11, 2014

Making Science Fun

I have this amazing friend from up in Washington who is a scientist.  A year ago she came down to Utah to do a presentation for the teachers who came to Life, The Universe & Everything (LTUE) symposium.  I got to sit in on her presentation and quickly bought her book after seeing her make science become fun through experimenting on candy. (To read my review of her book click here: Candy Experiments.)

Candy Experiments

 I took the book home and started doing some of the experiments with my 6 year old daughter. Suddenly, my Rose wanted to become a scientist. She always wanted to do more and more candy experiments.

So when my friend asked me to trail test some recipes for her second book we jumped at the chance.  We had SO much fun seeing if the beta recipes would work as expected or not.  And I got to spend focused and engaging time with my Rose on something she loved.  It doesn't get much better than that.

Well, this week the publisher sent me a copy of Loralee's sequel, Candy Experiments 2.  As soon as I showed my daughter she went nuts.  We've already done a Pop Rocks experiment and today I picked up some more supplies so we can do more.  I even told Rose that if she would do everything I ask her to do in the morning, then when she got home from school we would do another experiment.  Oh my gosh!  It was the first day in months that she didn't fight me and did not throw tantrums.

22324049

So this is my book recommendation for parents and teachers out there. If you want to have a blast with you children, show them that science can be fun, and get rid of any excess of Halloween or Easter candy from your house, then you should really get these books and get right to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment